My Trek 708-N1 On Top Of Tooth Of Time-Philmont 2009 “A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.” Sir Robert Baden Powell

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lance Armstrong and me

Well, yesterday was my 49th birthday.  I dont feel 49 but then again, What does 49 feel like?  I am older and I get tired easier.  I dont have the stamina riding I once did.  I dont get up and bound out of bed at 6AM as easy as I once did.  I cant run as far, ride as far or even drive as far.  But I still feel young.  So I guess the saying is true:  "You are only as old as you feel".

Some of my cycling and non-cycling friends have asked me recently if I believe Lance Armstrong doped.  This past week, a man I admire greatly, George Hincapie came out and said that Lance used EPO early in in his career and possibly as recently as his comeback 2 years ago.  Tyler Hamilton said it, Floyd Landis said it and so did Frankie Andreu.  All of these guys rode with Lance at some point in his career.  Frankie rode early on, Floyd and Tyler for a couple seasons.  But George was there for all seven TDF wins and every training session and almost all of his days in the saddle in events.  Big George is well-liked by everyone and is of the highest integrity.  Hearing that he had testified to the drug use by Lance basically leads me to believe that Lance was doping.  I followed Lance from his very early days as a teenager in Texas winning triathlons by miles over the pros.  I watched him win the world championships in the early 90's, watched and prayed for him when he was dying of cancer and cheered for him as he made his return to cycling.  Back in 98, I was training for the Assault on Mount Mitchell and had the opportunity to ride with Lance (well for about 500 feet in Blowing Rock).  He was training with 2 guys I didn't know but learned later it was Chris Carmichael and Bob Roll.  They rode past me on Highway 181 and spoke to me and asked me how far to the top.  I think I gasped out 3 miles and they blew right by me.  I knew it was Lance because I recognized the Cofidis Jersey and his awesome prowess on the bike.  I later read in his book that that week was his revelation and return to the competitive world.  In 2003, I had a better chance to meet George Hincapie.  I was in Greenville riding with a friend over Paris Mountain.  George was living there on the mountain with his family and was out riding a few intervals up Paris.  The guy I was riding with knew him a little and George slowed to chat with us. It was the highlight of my cycling day.  He was such an effortless climber, but also a great guy.  He was "just a guy out for a ride".  I tried to stick on his wheel as he started to take off.  I am proud to say he only beat me to the top by 20 seconds.  I was on the rivet as they say and I doubt George was pushing it too much.  I became a fan that day.  I put up a poster in my office that still stands.  I wanted him to win Paris-Roubaix so bad but the 2 years he was in his best form, he crashed out.  He also almost had the yellow jersey at the tour a few years back.  I wanted it for him more than I ever wanted it for Lance.  So, my respect for George is great.

So I guess as I sit here tonight thinking about the events of this last week in cycling, I am still numb over the realization that Lance Armstrong probably doped.  Lance is not a hero to me.  Very few people are a hero.  My Dad is a hero, Jesus is a hero and the people who protect us from harm are heroes in my book.  Professional athletes are not heroes and should never be called that.  They get paid to go out and perform.  But even though Lance was not a hero, he was someone I respected greatly.  He was(as someone called him) "A BADASS ON A BIKE".  I cant recall ANY athlete living or dead who I could watch for hours.  He was THE MAN.  So its sad that its come to this.

Now do I think he should be stripped of his 7 TDF titles?  ABSOLUTELY but only if he is proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. I feel like Lance thought he was just leveling the playing field.  Almost every cyclist from that era has been tested positive.  The list is long:  Hamilton, Landis, Andreu, Rasmussen, Pantani, Zabel, Riis, Ullrich, Millar, Hueras.....even the great Eddy Merckx was found using banned substance in the 70's.  (click here for more)  Landis was stripped of his title so why is Lance any better.  The difference was, Lance was never tested as positive....ever.  So in reality, even if everyone says he was a doper, no one has any proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.  As far as I know, unless Lance comes out and admits it (which I doubt he ever will), it will remain unproven.  But the fact that George admitted he doped and saw Lance dope means a great deal to me.  I am not ready to crucify him, but I have lost a lot of hope...

In reality, I always suspected there was cheating going on with Lance.. I didn't want to believe it nor do I  want to now.  I looked up to him as an athlete.  So the thought he may have cheated will never be an easy thing for me to digest.

None of this takes away from all of the wonderful things he has done for Cancer victims all over the world.  His support and influence has helped so many people deal with this horrible disease.  How many yellow bracelets have you seen out there?  I wore one for 5 years myself.  I still have so much respect for him as a person.  He used much influence to help others.  You cant take that away from him.

So what will Lance's legacy be now that so many people have testified against him?  I guess that remains to be seen.  I still think he may be one of the greatest athletes of our time.  Clean or dirty, no one could hold a candle to him.  It will be a sad day if it ever is proven that he doped.  I know I will not feel the same about him.  I am sure many others will feel like he let them down too.  Only time will tell if Lance will live out his legacy as a great cyclist.  There is no doubt he will live a legacy as a humanitarian.    

No comments: