My Trek 708-N1 On Top Of Tooth Of Time-Philmont 2009 “A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.” Sir Robert Baden Powell

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Blood, Sweat and Gears....or was it beer?

June 26th was the 102 mile century ride starting in Valle Crucis NC and going through Boone, Blowing Rock, Mountain City TN, Up Snake Mountain, up George's Gap and about 20+ miles on the Parkway. I had missed the last 2 years due to vacation as well as preparing for Philmont last year. I really like this because it begins and finishes in the same spot. So much different from Mount Mitchell which is a cluster for logistics. One of the Drafters knows a guy who rents out his mountain house overlooking the Parkway. I was late leaving Mooresville on Friday the 25th as I had a bunch of stuff to catch up on from work and get ready for my week in FL the following week. I left Mooresville about 5 PM and arrived in Blowing Rock around 8 after a stop at the Valle Crucis school to pick up stuff. It was 97 in Mooresville but it wasn't much cooler in Blowing Rock. The group was already drinking a few and had dinner before I got there. I hung out for a while and we all decided to turn in around 11. Saturday morning was a beautiful morning in the mountains. It was cooler but not cool by any means. We packed up and tried to be at the starting spot by 6:45 for a 7:30 start. There were 12 of us doing the 102 mile ride an 1 doing the 50. We all started out together but by The Shulls Mill Road Climb I was pretty much alone. Some of us caught up on the Parkway at the first rest stop. I tried to ride with the group but I was feeling too good to ride the climbs slowly. It was pretty much a climb and wait until the next stop. Snake Mountain is the first real hard climb of the day and it is a really hard climb. It has a 20% grade for the last 1/4 mile. It is very tough and many people have to walk the last 1/4 mile. Buddy, Dave and I met up at the Volunteer Fire Dept. at the bottom of the Snake and decided to try to hang together. We started off as 3 but in 1 mile I was already alone again. I knew I just needed to put in the I=Pod and climb in my own world. I passed so many people I thought maybe I was dreaming. People were walking, stopped with cramps, broken chains, wailing and crying, it was scary to watch. I never got off and in fact would have to say it was my easiest climb up the Snake. At the top, I waited at the rest area around 20 minutes for Dave and Buddy. We started to descend together but we separated again. At mile 83, I waited again for them but I told them as soon as they got there I had to split. Th waiting was killing me. They understood as most riders do. Its better to keep the pace you want to ride. Georges Gap comes after the last rest stop at mile 83. Georges is similar to Brushy Mountain so I enjoy it. I climbed it well too. The last real grade up 105 into Boone is a real pain. But its over in about 2 miles and you have a really nice flat ride in until you turn on Mast Gap. Some real smart-ass decided to put in 1 more climb of epic proportions about 2 miles out. After that, its a easy descent and flat 1 mile run in. Time was 7:22 which should of been under 7 an maybe even as fast as 6:30. I really enjoy riding with friends. I hate to wait on people but I decided to try to suck it up. It didn't go as well as I had hoped but there is hope for the future. The rest of Drafters went back to the cabin to rest and party (although I understood it wasn't much of a party). I had to be home so I drove back. Nice weekend and fun ride.

No comments: