My Trek 708-N1 On Top Of Tooth Of Time-Philmont 2009 “A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.” Sir Robert Baden Powell

Friday, November 21, 2008

Grand Canyon Trip


Wow I need to update this thing more often. Since I last reported, I have been to the Flagstaff area twice. As a family we spent a week in Flagstaff with a sidetrip (twice) to the Grand Canyon. Once we were there with my parents and did the tourist thing. Then we went back as a foursome: Laura, Hannah, Kyle and me. We hiked a little over halfway to Indian Gardens on the Bright Angel Trail. Since it was June it was brutally hot. We decided that a mile and a half up hill in 90+ heat would be tough enough. There was no reason to add to that. We were very glad we did that. On Friday before we came back, Kyle and I hiked to the top of Mt. Humphries. It is a 5 mile almost straight up ascent of a ~13,000 ft peak. It was definitely one of the highlights of my life. Then in late October I had to go back to Phoenix for business. I went out early and did a hike to the river on the Bright Angel. I also did Mt. Humphries again just because it was so cool the first time.  The picture above is Kyle at Mt. Humphries.  It appears to be a lunar scene but that kind of what Humphries looks like.  My 2 trips there were almost identical weather wise.  Funny considering one was in June and the other was almost November.

No comments: